Building of the Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity
The church is partly built in the renaissance style, partly in the baroque style - built by German speaking Lutherans in 1611 – 1613. It is designed in the style of a Roman-type basilica. On 21 July 1613 the church was consecrated to the Holy Spirit. The name of the architect is not recorded, however, we presume it was the court architect to the Emperor Rudolf II, Giovanni Maria Filippy, of Italian origin. The presbytery with the altar were originally located on the eastern side where the front of the church is now. The entrance to the church was from side entrances, from the North and from the West.
The Church was taken over by the Discalced Carmelites
After the Battle of the White Mountain in 1620, which resulted in the victory of the imperial pro-catholic part in the Czech lands, the Emperor Ferdinand II bestowed the church upon the order of Discalced Carmelites.
Consecration to Our Lady Victorious
On 8 September 1624, the church was consecrated to Our Lady Victorious as a thank you for victory of the Battle of the White Mountain. St. Anthony of Padua became another patron of the church.
Reconstruction of the Church and Building of the Monastery
Today's appearance of the church with the front facing the main street dates back to a reconstruction in 1636 – 1644. A large monastery for the Discalced Carmelites (today the office of the Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sports) was attached to the church on the South. A tower was built in 1669.
The Discalced Carmelites furnished the church with altars made by the best available artists of the 17th and 18th Century. The appearance of the interior in the 18th century followed an uniform and thought-out concept. It presumably originated from the architect Ferdinand Schor. The statue of Infant Jesus of Prague was permanently placed in the church at this time.
Dissolution of the Monastery
By decree of Emperor Joseph II, the monastery was dissolved in 1784. The Carmelites were forced to leave and the parish of the Church of Our Lady under the Chain was transferred there. The administration of the church was entrusted by the Archbishopric to the order of the Knights of Malta.
The Return of the Discalced Carmelites
At the request of the Prague Archbishop Miloslav Vlk, the Discalced Carmelites returned to the church after two hundred years on 2 July 1993. Since that time this pilgrimage place, loved by people of many nationalities, has revived. The Carmelite Sisters of the Child Jesus help the Carmelites with the care of the gracious statue and the church. The pilgrimage church is under the parish administration of the Church of St. Thomas in Mala Strana.
The New Altar
The new altar, pulpit, cross and remodelled baptismal font by sculptor Otmar Oliva were placed in the church in October 2015. The altar was consecrated on 18 October 2015 on the occasion of the fifth centenary of the birth of Saint Teresa of Jesus, foundress of the Order of the Discalced Carmelites.